Founded in 1910, The Lost Dogs’ Home was established to provide a temporary home for Melbourne’s lost and starving dogs.
Officially opened in 1913 at its current site in North Melbourne, The Lost Dogs’ Home has been a part of Australia’s animal welfare community for more than 100 years. Through two world wars and a changing city, the Home has evolved to ensure it can continue to be a safe-haven for dogs and, since 1986, cats in need.
Today, The Lost Dogs’ Home cares for tens of thousands of lost and abandoned dogs and cats across two sites in North Melbourne and Cranbourne.
The Home offers a number of animal welfare programs including foster care, adoption and behaviour training which aim to give dogs and cats in need a much deserved second chance at finding a new home.
The Lost Dogs’ Home continues to be a voice for Australia’s unwanted and stray dogs and cats. The Home plays a crucial role in the promotion of better pet ownership and strives to show the community that with companion animals life’s better together.
To read more about the Home’s history, visit history.dogshome.com