North Melbourne: 10am – 12.30pm
Campaspe: 10am – 12:30pm
Cranbourne: 9am – 1pm
Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic: 9am – 1pm
Are you open today?
Yes. All of our shelters are open on Labour Day.
If you have lost your pet, our North Melbourne, Cranbourne and Campaspe shelters are open to help with lost and found animals.
Want to adopt? Come on down to our North Melbourne or Campaspe shelters and chat to our adoptions team about the cats and dogs available for adoption.
What should I do if I have lost my pet?
If you have lost your pet, try and do the following as soon as possible.
- Call your local council, animal shelter and vet clinic.
- Councils operate outside normal business hours, so even though it is a public holiday, take the time to contact your council.
- Confirm the opening hours of your closest shelter and visit, or call them on opening.
- Remember some animals will wander outside your local council area and might not be at your closest animal shelter, so expand your search if needed.
- Look at home, in your garden and in your local neighbourhood.
- Post in online lost pet forums.
- Create and distribute lost pet flyers and posters.
For more tips on search for a lost animal, click here.
What do I do if I find a lost pet?
- Be cautious when approaching unfamiliar animals. Lost animals can be afraid and attack; so if you are unsure, contact your local council.
- If the animal is friendly, contain it as soon as possible; this will ensure it is safe from traffic and other dangers.
- Once the animal is safe, check its collar for an identification tag and contact your local council.
I need to see a vet urgently
- Our Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic is open today from 9.00am – 1.00pm.
- If you need to see a vet outside of these opening hours, contact the Animal Accident and Emergency Centre on (03) 9379 0700 for the Essendon centre and (03) 8368 7400 for the Point Cook centre.
- Lort Smith Animal Hospital is also open today. For more information on their opening hours call (03) 9328 3021 or visit lortsmith.com
- If you live outside of Melbourne, contact your nearest animal hospital.
Can I adopt today?
Of course you can!
Our adoptions staff will be happy to help you find your perfect match today. You can view our adoptable dogs here and cats here.