News and Media

Easter Pet Safety

April 18, 2019
Easter pet safety

Remember Easter egg-hunts and chocolate-laden baskets can be life-threatening to curious cats and canines.

Chocolate contains Theobromide , which is especially toxic to dogs, warns Dr. Julie Bellamy, The Lost Dogs’ Home Director of Operations.

“Different types of chocolate have different amounts of Theobromide, with dark chocolate having more than milk chocolate,” Dr Bellamy says.

“All chocolate products should be kept in cupboards or on shelves high enough that the dogs can’t reach them, bearing in mind that some dogs can jump up high to get to the chocolate.”

Dr. Bellamy also warns people to keep hot cross buns away from dogs because they contain grapes, raisins and sultanas.

How do I know if my pet has been poisoned by chocolate?
Signs vary depending on your pet’s size, the type of chocolate and the amount that has been eaten. Signs could appear anywhere between 30 minutes to four hours after chocolate is ingested.

Mild – vomiting / diarrhea.
Moderate – vomiting / diarrhoea, restlessness, increased urination.
Severe – stiffness, excitement, seizures.

What should I do if my pet eats chocolate?
If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately. Often it is better to assume that the chocolate could be toxic and start the required treatment in order to prevent a tragic outcome.

The Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic Easter holiday hours can be found here.